Many American citizens might be surprised to find out that they can be denied entry to Canada if they have a DUI conviction.

Most American citizens can show their passport at the Canadian border or a port of entry and then they can be on their way. But Americans who have a criminal record, especially one for a DUI conviction, could be denied entry to Canada. Screen Shot 2012 10 15 at 10.40.20 PM 206x300 Can Americans be denied entry to Canada for a DUI?

When this happens you are expected to leave immediately and return to the United States. It can be frustrating and upsetting, particularly if you have spent money on your travel itinerary or had intended to visit family. But no matter what the reason or how expensive it will end up being, there are no exceptions and you must return to the US.

However, you may be able to obtain a temporary resident permit to enter Canada. This is also known as a visitor visa or tourist visa, and even if you are criminally inadmissible to Canada you could still get in with a temporary resident permit.

What is needed for a temporary resident permit?

For a temporary resident permit, you will need to fill out a temporary resident permit application form as well as provide the necessary supporting documentation in your application package.

There are also two very important criteria you must meet when you apply for a temporary resident permit for any reason and from any country:

You must have strong ties to the United States or your home country. This means you have to prove to immigration authorities that there is enough waiting for you at home to ensure you will not overstay your temporary resident permit. If you have close relatives (immediate family is best) living in the United States, a home or apartment least in the United States, or a full-time job in the United States, evidence of these can serve as proof that you will return home once you are done visiting Canada.

The second most important criteria is demonstrating that you have enough money to support yourself in Canada. This means you have enough money to fund your stay, that you can inform officials where you are staying (at a hotel at your own expense or with friends or relatives at no cost), and that you can prove you are financially able to return home, ideally with a return ticket that is already paid for.

Tags: can i enter Canada with a DUI, criminal inadmissibility to Canada, denied entry to Canada, denied entry to Canada for DUI, temporary resident permit