It used to be that a permanent resident or a Canadian citizen could apply to sponsor their parents or grandparents to come to Canada and be permanent residents here. However, that changed in November of 2011. Screen Shot 2012 09 22 at 12.47.47 AM 300x200 How to Sponsor Parents and Grandparents From Denver

In November of 2011, the Canadian government announced they were stopping the acceptance of sponsorship applications for parents and grandparents in an effort to clear a very large backlog that was causing these applications to take years and years to be fully processed.

While you can no longer sponsor parents and grandparents to Canada for the time being, you do have an option.

Introducing: The SuperVisa

The government of Canada introduced the SuperVisa, which is a visa for parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents that lasts 10 years. During this 10-year period, parents and grandparents can come to Canada many times for periods of up to 2 years.

The permanent resident or Canadian citizen will apply for this visa on their parents’ or grandparents’ behalf, and to do so they must be able to obtain private medical insurance so their parents and grandparents will be covered, as well as make at least $17,000 per year.

As of November 2011, no new parent or grandparent sponsorship applications were going to be accepted for two years, but don’t expect that timeline to remain concrete. It could be extended at any time.

Please note that the media has been reporting that SuperVisa applications are being denied like crazy, and visa officers are also limiting those visits that are supposed to be up to two years to much shorter durations. Seek professional assistance when applying for a SuperVisa to bring your parents or grandparents to Canada, because it is quickly becoming very apparent that they are not easy to obtain.

Tags: immigrate to Canada, parents and grandparents, permanent residents in Canada, Sponsor Americans to Canada, super visa, SuperVisa